This week the challenge set for 52Frames is Long Shutter Speed.
I thought it would be interesting to have a go and see if I could depict movement in some way, the sort of blurring you can get with long shutter speeds. Some years ago at Festival at The Edge I took some pictures of drummers, trying to capture the colours and the motion; it seemed good a place to start.
The colours of the drummer’s costumes are bright so I decided to try using oil pastel again. I used Panda pastels which I have had for many years. They are nice and soft, blending quite well. I also added Turpentine to some areas which thinned out the colour. I added some details with the Derwent crayons and scraped back some areas.
Due to the slightly vague image I really enjoyed experimenting with the pastels. It is not the most successful image from my 52 frames collection, but some parts have worked quite well. Some movement is suggested in the image.