52Frames this week has set the challenge of Letters. I had a idea I was planning to develop, based on something I found from my A level work.
Some months ago I had cut out the title of the Puzzles page from the Telegraph, cut it up and reassembled it, the idea being to produce shapes that are reminiscent of letters. I actually don’t think this text was ideal for this, but I had stuck it into a sketch book.
I thought since I had started this I would carry on with it. I scanned it in and messed about with it on photoshop. I tried it in landscape, but found the best result was cutting it into chunks then reassembling it in portrait, as shown below.
I have been looking at Dulac paintings recently and his watercolour use is really lovely; maybe that’s why I decided to create the background with Dr Martin’s watercolour. I wanted it to feel a bit like it was underwater. Some of the paint naturally granulates and I added salt to some areas. The text elements I added when it was all dry with Arteza Brush Pens. This time I managed not to mess up the wash!!
I am pleased with this. I have managed to make the colours nice and rich without going over them.